Sunday, July 11, 2010

ENVIRONMENTAL COLOR

Rather than just posting more pretty pictures from my trip to Barcelona, I figure I should offer up a little insight into the process and show what I look for and how it translates to design and in this case color. I was taught a long time ago that the best color combinations aren't found in a text book or on a nesting table in the mall. They are found in the environment all around us. You just have to know where to look. I was taught a simple trick that can work for almost any form of design in creating a full color palette from just one photo. Here is what I mean...
STEP 1:Take a photo out in the world that inspires you through color

STEP 2:Open up the photo in Photoshop and zoom in until you see the pixels of color present themselves

STEP 3:Take the eyedropper tool and start selecting colors from the pixels that you like

STEP 4: Final Colors

It's as simple as that! And because you are pulling from the same photo, the tone of the colors should all sit together. No need to spend hours plucking color chips from a Pantone book and making sure they all work with each other. I love this technique and am grateful to all my mentors and teachers for showing me such tricks of the trade.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment